2005 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz
- Silver Medal. 2008 Royal Adelaide Wine Show
- Silver Medal. 2008 Mclaren Vale Wine Show
- Gold Medal. 2009 Australian Boutique Wine Awards
- Silver Medal. 2009 Visy Great Australian Shiraz Challenge
- Deep purple-red like the Reserve, unashamedly full-bodied, concentrated and intense.. 2008 James Halliday Australian Wine Companion
Good winter rainfall in the McLaren Vale region and a mild start to the growing season allowed for healthy vine growth in the area and also early ripening of high quality fruit showing strong varietal characteristics. That coupled with the low crop loads in the Thomas Vineyards and the maritime influences experienced in the Willunga basin have resulted in fruit and therefore wine with intense ripe flavours and excellent structure.
Fruit was picked on 3 March 2005 and immediately transported to the winery for processing. It is fermented under cool conditions with a selected yeast strain to retain the aromatic characteristics of the fruit while developing the structure and tannin backbone of the wine.
The wine once fermented was pressed then seeded with a selected malolactic culture again to enhance and retain the fruit characteristics. After malolactic fermentation is completed the wine is racked into predominantly french oak for maturation. A mixture of new and 2 to 3 year old french oak barrels is used to give an elegant complexity of oak characteristics.
During the 15 months maturation in oak the wine is racked to assist its clarification and reduce the need for filtration of the finished wine.
Minimalist handling techniques have been utilised at all stages of the production of this wine in an attempt to reduce maceration of fruit and retain as much of its premium fruit character while still enhancing the structure and intense flavour of the wine.
Geographic region – McLaren Vale
Picking date – 3 March 2005
Variety – 100% Shiraz – Estate grown
Sugar level – 15.3 Baume
Alcohol – 15.5%
Residual sugar – 2.4 g/L
Bottling date – 7 July 2006
Cellaring potential – 7 to 10 years
Appearance – Brilliant, Garnet with purple hues
Nose – Ripe, rich blackberry and plum with sweet french oak characters. Fruit driven with a touch of spice.
Palate – Again intense berry fruit with ripe plum and sweet vanillin oak. A smooth, full, silky mouthfeel with fine-grained tannins that give it both length and structure. Elegant oak tannins also integrate well to balance the palate and intense fruit characters, then persist through to a lively clean finish.
A big powerful wine, young and lively now but will drink well and improve with further bottle maturation for at least seven to ten years.
The perfect accompaniment to beef, lamb, duck & venison.
- 2008 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz
- 2007 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz
- 2006 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz
- 2005 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz
- 2004 Thomas Vineyard Estate Shiraz – Winner of the trophy for ‘Best Single Vineyard Wine Red & White Wine Any Style’ at the 2005 Commonwealth Bank McLaren Vale Wineshow.